Secular Sunday #48 – Road Trip
Wakey wakey, rise and shine! It’s obscenely early but here’s this week’s Secular Sunday!
In this issue:
- Sanal Edamaruku
- Other Upcoming Events
Indian rationalist and fugitive Sanal Edamaruku is in Ireland as part of a speaking tour of Europe. Since arriving on Thursday, he has already met with a number of TDs and Senators, given a press conference, spoken publicly at a meeting in Dublin, and had his story featured in The Guardian. Over the next few days he will be touring Ireland, along with Atheist Ireland chairman Michael Nugent and Education Officer Jane Donnelly, all of whom will be speaking on the topic: Separate Church and State Now
I’ll be with them in Cork and Galway in my capacity as Regional Officer (hence the early and truncated newsletter).
Here’s the itinerary:
- Today, Sunday 25 November, 3:00 pm, Gresham Metropole Hotel, Cork. (map) (Facebook event page)
- Monday 26 November, Cairnes Theatre, NUI Galway (map) (Facebook event page)
This event is co-hosted with the Atheist and Humanist Society of NUIG. Cairnes Theatre can be difficult to find, so best to familiarise yourself with it via the interactive campus map.
- Tuesday 27 November, Malone Lodge, Belfast (map) (Facebook event page)
Other Upcoming Events
- Today, Sunday 25 November, 12:00 pm, Quay Co-op, Cork (map)
Cork Humanists present “Pathways to Humanism”. Facebook event page
- Today, Sunday 25 November, 12:00 pm, Galway Lawn Tennis Club, Galway (map)
Humanists West, Galway will be holding their monthly meeting. Facebook event page
- Wednesday 28 November, 7:00 pm, The Munster Bar, Waterford (map)
Waterford Skeptics in the Pub. Geoff Lillis of Geoff’s Shorts will be talking about his encounters with street preachers in Dublin. This will be an extended and updated version of a talk he gave at Dublin Atheists in the Pub. Facebook event page
- Saturday 1 December, 12:00 – 2:00 pm, outside the GPO, O’Connell St., Dublin 1 (map)
Brendan Maher will be at his stall promoting atheism, secularism and humanism. If you want to help, you can email Brendan or if you’re in the area, just pop by to say hello.
- Saturday 1 December, 6:00 pm, The Lord Edward, Dublin 2 (map)
Dublin Skeptics in the Pub – The “It’s almost the end of the world” edition. Facebook event page
- Sunday 2 December, 4:00 pm, Buswell’s Hotel, Molesworth St., Dublin 2 (map)
Monthly meeting of the Humanist Association of Ireland. All are welcome.
That’s all for this week. Normal service should be resumed next week.
Editor, Secular Sunday