Secular Sunday #21 – On the Silver Screen
It’s time for another Secular Sunday!
In this issue:
- Upcoming Events
- At the Movies
- Michael Nugent has a summary of his part in last week’s debate at the Armagh Faith and Science Partnership. Full video will be available soon.
- Monday 21 May, McSwiggans Bar and Restaurant, Woodquay, Galway (map)
Galway Skeptics in the Pub 32 – Flight of the Pigasus. Facebook Event page
- Friday 25 May, 8:00 pm, Blackrock Castle Observatory, Cork (map)
Cork Skeptics present “Cruise Control”. John Duignan, an ex-Scientologist will be talking about his 22 years in Hollywood’s favourite cult. More details. Facebook event page
- 25-27 May, Cologne, Germany
The European Atheist Convention, hosted by IBKA and Atheist Alliance International. The theme is “The Atheist Perspective and Our Future”. Speakers include PZ Myers, Taslima Nasrin, Annie Laurie Gaylor, Dan Barker, Rebecca Watson and our own Michael Nugent. Some tickets are still available. Read more. As well as Michael Nugent, several Atheist Ireland members will be attending and we’ll have reports on the convention in coming weeks and links to videos as they become available.
- Saturday 26 May, 6:00 pm, The Black Sheep, Capel St., Dublin 1 (map)
Dublin Skeptics in the Pub Facebook event page
- Sunday 3 June, 4:00 pm, Buswell’s Hotel, Dublin 2 (map)
The monthly meeting of the Humanist Association of Ireland. Facebook event page
- Tuesday 5 June, National Concert Hall, Dublin 2 (map)
Dublin Writers Festival presents: Richard Dawkins in Conversation. Some more tickets were made available during the week but these too have now sold out. If you’ve found yourself with too many tickets or not enough, send us an email and we’ll try to facilitate a trade. Learn more
- Wednesday 6 June, 8:00 pm, Liberty Hall, Dublin 1 (map)
More from the Dublin Writers Festival. Alain de Botton will be discussing his controversial book Religion for Atheists. Tickets are €12/€10 and plentiful. Read more
At the Movies
We’ve spotted a couple of films that may be of interest to our readers. They’re so new that they haven’t been released yet and we don’t know when they will be. But we’ll find out and let you know. As I have seen nothing but the trailers, don’t take these as recommendations.
- Jesus The Remake is an independently produced Irish film that tells the story of Jesus in a modern setting. Jesus is a musician who uses his songs to get his message out to the world. As his popularity grows so does the threat from the church who are prepared to stop him at all costs. View the trailer.
- Kumaré is a documentary about a wise guru from the East who has indoctrinated followers in the West. Or at least that’s what he appears to be. “Kumaré” is actually American filmmaker Vikram Gandhi, who is conducting a social experiment (and making a movie). At the height of his popularity, Kumaré unveils his true identity to a core group of disciples. View the trailer. (A similar theme is explored in the 1972 Oscar-winning film Marjoe, a documentary following a former child preacher turned skeptic, and his tour of revival churches in America’s Bible Belt; well worth watching if you can find a copy.)
It’s quite likely that neither of these films will make it to your local cinema but we’ll keep you updated as to when and where they can be seen.
Till next time,
Editor, Secular Sunday
Category Secular Sunday, Uncategorized Views 3671
Writer of Jesus The Remake here, There’s an outside chance it will be seen in local cinemas. Maybe ye just need a little faith. Haha.
Thanks for the mention! Check out updates on https://www.facebook.com/jesusthe.remake
There was a film on BBC the night before last with Steve Coogan as a drama teacher putting on a play about Jesus coming again. I hope you saw it. Also, that excellent French film Jesus of Montreal is on the same theme.
I haven’t seen yours yet but will make every effort to do so. Good luck with it.
Yeah I’ve seen Hamlet 2. Very funny. I’ve seen bits of J of Montreal but French (and Irish) bring back horrible memories of school. We will be wrapped filming in a few weeks. Second trailer coming soon with the money shot/crucifixion. A few interesting bits and pieces coming on the Facebook page in a few days too…