De-Baptism

General discussions
lostexpectation

Re: De-Baptism

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:36 pm

i thought you had to contact the bishop and the church, but that perhaps the bishop would contact the church for you.

you'll probably have to sue snail mail rather then email.
test
greenwitch

Post by greenwitch » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:29 pm

I had no problem defecting. I sent an email to the Dublin diocese, about a week later I received a letter telling me they were organising for the baptism register to be amended. There was a long paragraph telling me of the consequences of leaving the catholic church which boiled down to the fact that I wouldn`t be able to get married by them but being already divorced this was rather irrelevant.
A couple of weeks later the amended batisimal certificate arrived in the post. the whole thing took less than a month and consisted of me sending just the one email, maybe it was the way I worded it :!:
The only thing about it was the amended cert had all the details correct including when and who I`d been married to but under `confirmation` it said `no record`.
denice

Post by denice » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:37 pm

alright was it simply by email that you did iT, and then your letter to the bishopp?? Would you still have acess to the email address??? and do you have to explain the reasons for leaving, as surly i myself owe them no explanation....
greenwitch

Post by greenwitch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 pm

I sent one email to communications@dublindiocese.ie. I worded it in such a way as to be polite but very clear that my mind was made up as to wanting out. I also gave my full name, D.O.B, parents names, church where I was baptised and a rough time of when it happened. That was all I did. When I received the letter from them I did not reply as they said it was being dealt with so while I didn`t think it could be that easy I thought I would give them a bit of time and then the ammended cert arrived.

BTW did anyone see this issue being dealt with on `Fair City` last night. I just caught a bit of it when my daughter had it on.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:53 pm

http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/series/se ... 29-32.html
Fr. Art pays Ray a visit and Ray is furious to find out he was baptised while in a coma. Ray insists he wants the baptism nullified immediately.

lol

bizarre, why would somebody baptise him?
test
denice

Post by denice » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:51 pm

thanks for the information it was very helpful
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Fri May 29, 2009 7:58 pm

interesting query a person has here about removing your baptismal cert from the church...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055575546

has anybody seen their baptismal cert in a church?

http://www.freewebs.com/dublinstreams/D ... ver003.jpg

you see in this he refers to a baptismal register, so is there a register with just a list of names and then filing cabinet with copy of baptismal cert?
test
adamd164
Atheist Ireland Member
Atheist Ireland Member

Post by adamd164 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:08 pm

When I did it, I got my baptismal cert returned via post with a defection notice added to it and a letter stating that I had been deleted from their records.
lostexpectation

Post by lostexpectation » Sat May 30, 2009 2:46 pm

ah right well i thought they'd be reluctant to remove records, i still wonder what 'delete from their records' means.
test
Morgase

Post by Morgase » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:09 am

Well I also have decided to get my name off the church's lists. Here is the letter I am going to send to the Bishop of Ferns and I will be copying it to the priest of the church where I was baptised. Any suggestions / amendments welcome!

"I wish to declare my formal defection from the Roman Catholic Church.

I hereby reject the teachings, dogma and authority of the Roman Catholic Church and any benefits, so-called sacraments, graces and blessings supposedly bestowed upon me, either in the past or the future. Furthermore, please note that I make these statements personally, consciously and freely.

As a principled and rational person, it pains me that I am being counted as an adherent of an irrational superstition which has done and is doing irreparable harm to humanity and with which I profoundly disagree. The recent publication of the Ryan report has given me the impetus to make my defection from your organisation official.

I note that I was baptised when I was not in a position to consent to being made a member of your organisation. In addition, I was forced to take part in the other initiation ceremonies of communion and confirmation against my will.

Please record that I am no longer a Roman Catholic. I respectfully request confirmation that this has been noted in the baptismal registry with explicit mention of the occurrence of a defection.

I am supplying you with some of my personal information to aid you in officially recording my defection.

Birthdate: xxx
Date of Baptism: Assumed to be at a date between xxx
Name of Parents: xxx
Church of Baptism: xxx

Sincerely,
xxx"